Homemade Injury Tracker Nearly Crashes Google Servers
The baseball season is off to a shitty start, and not just because my team is hanging around 11th. There have already been more weather-related postponements than the entire 2016 season. (If you want my take, and I know you do, MLB should lop off about 20 games from the schedule and have Opening Day the Friday after the Final Four/the weekend before the NBA Playoffs begin.) Even worse for the purposes of our fantasy teams, lots of good players are or have been injured. That stinks!
The table below lists every drafted player who has hit the disabled list this year (including Zach Britton, who was basically on the DL at draft time). We're just 20 days into the season, and the list is already 46 players long. Some big takeaways/notes:
- 46 out of 300 players = 15.3% of drafted players affected
- The players represent $472 of our cumulative $3,120 auction budget, or 15.12% (including three keepers, who are presumably worth more than their prices)
- 36 players are still on the DL
- Seyf and I each drafted 7 players who later hit the disabled list, though I traded two high-dollar players before their injuries.
- Bayz ($65), Seyf ($59), Kyle ($47), and Nolan ($40) each spent at least $40 at the draft on players who have been injured. (I spent $85, but traded $53 of that value to Kyle and Mil, respectively)
- Maloof (64 days), Bayz (63), Seyf (61), and Kyle (57) lead the way in "Effective Days", which are missed days from players on their rosters.
- I've dropped $11 worth of drafted players due to injury (Taijuan Walker was $7), while Seyf ($5) and Nolan ($5) have also parted ways with decent players.
- Bayz has only dropped $3 Danny Salazar, and his hand was forced after four basically undroppable players hit the DL in the days leading up to that transaction.
- If we're giving out awards, I'd say Ols has had the Best Luck so far, while Bayz has had the Worst.
- Ols might have been the only owner who could take on a DL player, and he recently traded for Bayz's Rougned Odor.
- Bayz, on the other hand, has three truly undroppable players hit the DL, along with Manny Margot, who would have been snatched up on waivers if he became available. Elvis Andrus' absence hurts the most, as he could be out two months.
- This list does not included games missed by injured players who only sat out a few days. If I've missed anyone on your roster, please let me know.
Full document here: https://bit.ly/2pQY54s
- Detailed Royals farm report
- Rim and Nolan discuss the wide-ranging effects of the proposed U.S. tariffs on China
- Which college football program will Ols be?