MTV's 'The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros' Week 2 Recap; PLUS: Best Male Competitors Bracket - Round Two
(Scroll to bottom for second round voting)
“Raise up your glasses. I’d like to propose a toast to some of the greatest athletes this world has ever seen ... and to a bunch of people from random sports” - Bananas
MTV's The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros started off with a bang, pitting ten Challenge champions against ten real-life professional athletes from a variety of sports. The animosity between the Pros and the Champs is at a level I didn’t anticipate. These professionals take real offense to reality TV stars thinking they’re legitimate athletes, and the Challenge champions are out to prove themselves. Somehow this season is going to be even better than I imagined.
The game is simple:
- Two teams: Champs and Professionals
- One challenge each week
- Every competitor is playing for a charity of their choice
- Each team nominates a team captain for that week’s challenge
- The captain of the winning team earns money for their charity and is safe from elimination.
- Two eliminations a week (1 Champs, 1 Pros). The losing team chooses one individual to go into that week’s elimination against the captain. The winning team captain chooses one person to go into elimination while the remaining team members decide who will face that selected person.
- At the end of the season the remaining players will compete in one Final for a chance to win 50,000 to donate to their favorite charity.
Let’s take a look at all the competitors and the charities they’re playing for:
Ashley Kelsey - Real World: San Diego – Make-A-Wish Foundation
Ashley Mitchell – RW: Ex-Plosion – Facing Addiction
Camila Nakagawa – Spring Break Challenge - Men With Dreams
Cara Maria Sorbello – Fresh Meat II – The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Veronica Portillo (Eliminated) – Road Rules: Semester at Sea - Planned Parenthood
CT – Real World: Paris - Grayken Center for Addiction Medicine
Darrell Taylor – Road Rules: Campus Crawl - March of Dimes
Johnny Bananas (Eliminated) – Real World: Key West - Special Olympics
Jordan Wiseley – Real World: Portland - Lucky Fin Project
Wes Bergmann – Real World: Austin - American Cancer Society
Lindsey Jacobellis – Olympic Snowboarder - The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Lolo Jones – Olympic Hurdler & Bobsledder - Hurdles of Hope
Louise Hazel – Olympic Heptathlete - Save the Children
Tia Blanco – World Champion Surfer - St. Jude's Children's Hospital
Candice Wiggins (Eliminated) –WNBA - Greater Than AIDS
CM Punk – WWE Champion & MMA Fighter - PAWS Chicago
Gus Kenworthy – Olympic Skier - The Trevor Project and Happy Hippie Foundation
Kamerion Wimbley – NFL linebacker - Kamerion Wimbley Foundation
Louie Vito – Olympic Snowboarder - Wings for Life
Shawne Merriman (Eliminated) – NFL linebacker – Lights On Foundation
AB’s Random Challenge Thoughts - Week 1:
- Victor Cruz is no TJ Lavin but the guys not half bad.
- They clearly didn’t give these Challenge competitors the normal heads-up they give before a season. CT has a self-diagnosed Dad bod, Wes looks 50 pounds heavier than the last time I saw him and even Bananas doesn’t look in his normal prime Challenge condition.
We’re talking really out of shape dudes here, folks.
- How much do we have to pay to have Lolo Jones on the Challenges full time? This girl’s bite is just as big as her gigantic bark.
- I could watch Bananas & Lolo trade insults all day, uninterrupted.
- The Pros won the "Against the Ropes" challenge in Week 1 but I have no doubts that these Champions can put up a fight.
- Veronica is 40 years old. Probably should have just stayed retired.
- In the first eliminations, Ashley M. defeated Veronica on the Champions side and Lolo Jones showed she may be the best athlete in this entire competition by destroying WNBA player Candice Wiggins.
AB’s Random Challenge Thoughts - Week 2:
- The Challenge in Week 2 was a classic messy competition from years past with the Champions getting their first W.
*that’s ketchup & mustard ICYMI
- Another week, another verbal altercation between Bananas and a Pro. Here are some of the best barbs:
Bananas: CM BITCH!
CM Punk: YOU KNOW EVERYTHING I’VE DONE! YOU’RE A FAN, MOTHER FUCKER!”
Bananas: You couldn’t make it in wrestling [not true]. You got your ass handed to you in MMA [extremely true], and now you’re trying to make it in this.
Another W for Bananas IMHO.
- The second week elimination was a showdown of two Challenge TITANS that's 10+ years in the making. WES vs BANANAS.
- In a fantastic elimination Wes got the best of his longtime nemesis sending the GOAT packing*
- On the Pros side, CM Punk sent big ass Shawne “Lights Out” Merriman packing.
*Known Bananas apologist AB would like to point out that this elimination is one of the lamest in Challenge history and is based on luck more than anything. SMDH.
First-round voting in our "Best Male Challenge Competitors" bracket is complete. As expected, CT and Bananas ragdolled their opponents. Mr. Beautiful, on the other hand, was upended by an arguably better looking guy in Landon.
Before voting in the next round, you gotta review our detailed career breakdown for each of the remaining contestants.